Monday, June 2, 2008

MESSAGES FROM NP ALUMS FROM ACROSS THE GLOBE.


Dear All,

I have attached a few pictures from my time in NP - the b&w pictures are from Year 9-10 (1981-2) and from our 43rd HMI Adventure Course (1982). I am the 4th from right front row in the class photo and the 1st from left front row in the HMI photo. I cannot recall if Robert was in the same class, please ask him. The other b&w pictures are from my scouting days.


The more recent coloured pictures are of our family, my wife Nilanjana, and our two girls, Hia 6yrs and Oli 3yrs - as you can see, we have maintained an adventurous outlook in life taking on from the NP spirit.

I owe a lot of who I am today to the NP days, and for instilling in me a sense of principle, discipline, will power, adventure and a love for outdoors and nature.

Wish you, Robert and the team there all the best for the first alumni event and do keep in touch.

Regards,
Anoop Chaudhuri HRBO Director,
PD Asia Pacific and Africa
Ford Motor Company

Anoop can be contacted on achaudhu@ford.com

---------- * ----------

Hi,

I'm Wilf Armstrong class of '58. I'm now retired, but still work the Alaska Cruise season for Holland America from May 'til September. I live on the west coast of British Columbia, with the Pacific Ocean in front and the Coast Mountain Range behind me.
A long way from N P and the Himalayas 'and a long time ago, but I'll never forget those days at the school.
One day, in the not too distant future, I hope to return for a visit.

Yours Truly Wilf

Wilf can be contacted on warm777@shaw.ca
---------- * ----------
Dear All,

Wishing you and all the attendees, at what sounds like a wonderful night, every success at the Gala event. Wish I could be there !! See you at the NP reunion in Bangkok next May perhaps ??
All the best
Regards

Billy Pyke
(NP: 1956-1963)

Bill can be contacted on bill.pyke@lehman.com
---------- * ----------


Dear North Pointers,

Thank you for your mail.

As you perhaps know, my husband is severely handicapped after two brain hemorrhages several years ago.
Last September, his former classmates and their wives came to our place for the yearly N.P reunion. Altogether, we were 34 people. We had a tremendous weekend together and afterwards a five-days bus trip to Bavaria.

My husband apparently was very happy to see them all again. In spite of the fact that he cannot talk we were sure he recognised everybody. For my children and me it was the event of the year- we will never forget it. It gave us a family feeling. It was so moving.
To give you a glimpse on my husbands life, I will tell you his CV.
After school, he obtained a sponsorship by the DAAD (German academic exchange organisation) to Germany and became a mechanical engineer. He returned to India to help his fellow refugees and for a year was the interpreter for His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama.
In 1969, he returned to Germany and worked as an engineer till October 2000. We married in 1972 and have two children: Norbu (30) and Yuldon(27). We live in South Germany at Lake Constance near the Swiss border.
In October 2000, Palden had a severe brain hemorrhage, and in February 2001 a second stroke. Since then he is severely handicapped ; a locked-in-syndrome.
On his behalf please give his regards to the NP alumni and their respective families. He certainly would love to join them.
Best wishes and Sursum Corda!
Christel Gyanatshang-Moser

Christel can be contacted on gy-mo@gmx.de
---------- * ----------


Dear NP Guys,
Thanks for your note. I am filled with pride to read of the gala dinner and the cause behind hosting such a noble event. We indeed make a difference and a positive one. Mr. Wilson was my teacher in NP school and I was a classmate of Patrick his younger brother. Even though I would like to join the event I will not be able to do so. Please convey my wishes and best regards to all and to Mr Wilson too. Wish and pray the event is a great success. I have attached some pics of our reunion in New York on Sep 11 2004 and also pics of Fr. Van when he visited us in Ho Chi Minh City. Sursum Corda

Somendra P Pradhan

Country Finance

DirectorICI Paints
Somendra can be contacted on somendra_pp@hotmail.com


---------- * ----------



Message for the NP Alumni Middle East gala dinner in Dubai.


I am very happy to hear that the N:P: Middle East Alumni is hosting a dinner in the aid of the Mungopoo school project. This project is a very typical example of the activities of the Jesuits in Darjeeling and it’s surroundings. I am sure this dinner will help greatly in accomplishing the project.

I first went to North Point in 1951, when I was five and a half year old. I left North Point after finishing my bachelor’s degree in 1964, when I turned twenty. In these 13 years in North Point I have learned one very important lesson (amongst others) from the Jesuits: “Never give up a good thing worth doing, even if you see many problems ahead”. This has often been my motivation even during some very difficult times in the past 44 years after leaving North Point.

The school in Mungpoo is a project, that is very characteristic for the Jesuits. Take up on a good thing and then do your best to overcome any type of problem turning up. Just do not give up. Now I expect that many N.P. alumni organisations world wide will be doing their best in helping to fund this project.

And ofcourse it is worth our while undertaking the effort of helping out. The school will help children in a remote area in India to get educated and maybe become very valuable in their field of work for the country.

I wish the Middle East Alumni under the leadership of Mr. Robert Wilson a very successful evening - with lots of fun, fond remembrances of the old days at North Point and of course the collection of a proud sum for funding the school to be built.

Sursum Corda!

Serosh Engineer
Am Rotdorn 40
47804 Krefeld, Germany

Serosh can be contacted on cstm.s.engineer@t-online.de

---------- * ----------



Dear North Pointers,

Sadly, I have to inform you that Colin died May 20th 2002. He was 82 years old. He had had a remarkable life. From being Captain of some of Exxon's largest tankers, he came ashore and when they struck oil in the Libyan desert, he helped to design their Marine facilities and ran the port for eleven years. After Libya his career took him to New York, Holland, Indonesia, Malaysia and as a Marine consultant he advised on many marine problems around the world. He was famous in the tanker world for a book he wrote in 1954 called Tanker Handbook for Deck Officers. The 8th and last edition was published around the year 2000.

Colin wrote his life story for the family in his retirement and the first page depicted a photograph of North Point College. Sadly it was only a black and white photo, the only one he had of it.

I hope his photograph will come out. I'm not very good at sending pictures yet. Please let me know.



Since Colin died (we were then living in Cornwall, U.K. ) I came to Perth, W. Australia 4 years ago and now live with my daughter, and enjoying 4 very young great grandchildren.

I trust this will be of some interest to you. The only other N.P. student Colin mentioned to me was Dijmi Dorgi (I may have the spelling wrong), he was apparently in Colin's dormitory.

Best of Luck for all your ventures.

With kind regards -

Joyce Baptist (wife)

Joyce can be contacted on coljoy@iinet.net.au

---------- * ----------


Dear NP Guys,

I will be happy to help asap in any way I can.

I had seen your blog sometimes back and was happy to learn that Anand’s son Vishant was doing well.
He was my classmate and closest friend.
Under Willi, whom I remember very well, you will do well!

Keep up the good work.

A bientot

Ashok Mirchandani

Ashok can be contacted on ashokmir@yahoo.com

---------- * ----------


Dear Guys,

I do wish you all the best in your fundraising efforts. It is a really worthy effort and well in keeping with the spirit of North Point where stand like men to each other with a helping hand to the lame and the slow.

Give my regards to Robert. If he is who I think he is, he was a couple of years senior to me. His father used to play the drums if I remember correctly. They were a very well known family in Darj.

Will try to send some photos

Best Wishes

Sursum Corda

Vincent

NP 63 – 72

Vincent can be contacted on yolvin@ihug.co.nz

No comments: